If my dad were to read the title of this blog post he would probably start laughing and then wonder how I would have any authority on looking ‘impeccable.’ Mostly because in university I became a sort of beach bum that would take a day off from showering which isn’t too bad for most people but my family seems to be a bit OCD about showering! I digress, they point of this post is that a few weeks ago I had to be ‘approved’ to work at a luxury department store in London. I had to go through the same training and outfit checks as the people who work there just to be able to go on the shop floor for a few hours. What I was told before this approval process was to blow dry my hair, put on a bit of makeup, wear all black, making sure nothing was discolored or worn. Now before you start thinking, ‘why would you do that? That’s horrible’ which is what I thought, think about this. When I was there dressed all in black with my hair done I actually felt quite impeccable, something I always feel is unattainable on a daily basis but its really not. There are a few rules to follow and your set.
1. Stockings- make sure they don’t have holes or any fabric balls, the best thing is when you wash them to keep them in a lingerie bag. Also toss them when necessary don’t hold on to them if they have any holes.
2. Shoes- make sure they are clean, I know it sounds easy enough but some people don’t realize this. Make sure your shoes dont’t look like they should be in the trash, I am guilty of wearing out my shoes until I can’t walk. Even if they are cheap shoes keep them clean and in good condition.
3. Stray Threads- This can be on shoes or clothes, if a thread is coming out, cut it and it will make that much more of a difference and keep your clothes from looking like its falling apart.
4. Lint-Another one for clothes or stockings, get a lint roller and roll off any excess lint that makes clothes look dirty and worn. A lint roller is about $1.
5. Iron- this one is easy again, I hate ironing and a lot of my clothes doesn’t really need it but there are definitely dresses and trousers that could use an iron.
6. Holes if it has holes toss it, if it was dark blue and now its baby blue toss it or put it in a memories box if it has sentimental value.
7. Hair- It doesn’t matter if your hair is curly or straight, keep it in order. If you have highlights and you don’t have money to pay to get them redone then dye it back to your natural hair color. If you have got dry stringy hair at the ends but don’t cut it because you want it long, Cut it, it looks dry and unhealthy, I promise if you cut it, it will grow and be healthy.
8. Nails- Keep them clean and file them. If you are going to grow them make sure that they are clean and not half broken. If you paint them please don’t leave the paint on until it starts to chip off naturally. Use a base and top coat and I promise they will last longer.
9. Eyebrows- If you want to be au naturel then fine let them go but don’t get them threaded or waxed and then have a bush for two months, at least clean them up with tweezers.
‘If you’re going to San Fran CISCO make sure to wear flowers in your hair…’ When ever its warm and I put flowers in my hair I can’t help but hum that song over and over. Now that its finally warm in London and we can go to the park, I like the idea of wearing a structured dress with a flower chain in my hair. I decided to make a flower chain that I could wear to the park. It was super easy!
1)Measure the Chain around your head to see how many flowers you need. In between the flowers there are usually green leafs taking up space you should pop these off and add the daisies from the other end of the chain.
2) Now that the the row is all daisies measure around your head and cut the length required.
3)Use green tape or thread to wrap the two ends together like below.
Then tada! Super quick and easy! What do you think?
Tan- I know its a cliche but a Cali girl unavoidably always has a tan because of our inevitable exposure to the sun. Not to worry for those of you that want to face it you can always use a fake tanner like Xen Tan.
Sunglasses- Again we are unavoidably exposed to the sun and as a result we ALL own a pair (or 10). Make sure they protect from UVA/UVB light. Why not the shape of the season too! Round glasses by AJ Morgan.
Sandals- Before I got to London I hadn’t owned a pair of socks since I was 15! I wore sandals EVERY single day! For CA girls it’s a staple and there are usually two types: The normal thong sandal like the Rainbows below (that everyone I know has owned at some point or another) or the strappy summer sandal.
Casuals- As you would imagine California has very nice sunny weather and if you are by the beach you end up having a VERY relaxed style. A cali girl always has a comfy shirt, or tank top that she slips into to compliment her tan. Like this one from Forever21.
Bathing suit- No need for explanation here. We always have a bathing suit in case of emergency! My choice is always vintage and I love leopard too which is why I like this one from ASOS.
Accessories- Since were quite casual we need our necklaces rings and earrings! You can get many for your money at Forever21.
Nail Polish- Bright and cheerful to compliment our tan. We love OPI nail polishes!
You’ve heard this story many times an older woman with amazing skin says something about how she used to wash her face with milk because she had nothing else. Funnily enough washing her face with milk was probably a stroke of genius as milk contains lactic acid and lactic acid contains AHA (Alpha Hydroxyl Acids) which are included in many anti-ageing beauty products. AHA-containing products cause exfoliation, or shedding of the surface skin.
Cleaning your face with milk after washing your face can help remove dead skin cells and stimulate cell growth. Also washing with milk can feel a bit luxurious, as the feeling is a bit different than water.
How to do it:
At night, clean your face using your regular cleanser. Then when you are ready, pour a small amount of milk on to a little saucer or small cup. Take a cotton pad and soak it in the milk, then lightly clean your face with it. After you are finished wash off the excess milk and continue with your beauty routine.
Read more about it here: